Skip to main content

Reply to "AZ JUCO'S"

Hey so, I was reading this post, and I can't help but post, what do you guys think about Arizona Junior College competition today? IMO, it's really not what it was back in 05. AZ jucos are still good, but I wouldn't go to say that most of them can beat a lot of D1 schools like they were probably capable of doing up till maybe about 4-5 years ago.

I know Central AZ is always strong, and Mesa won the D2 juco world series this year. But I feel that the talent at AZ jucos aren't what it once was, still good, but not like it was say in the late 90s and much of the 2000s. Also, I don't think ASU/UofA send any players to these jucos anymore after Murphy left. I went to a few juco games, and not every pitcher was throwing north of 90 like how everyone said they did back then. In fact, I was watching MCC play and I swear one of their RHP's was not even throwing 80, and I'd say the average velocity out here is probably somewhere between 82-87.

What do you guys think? I think one thing that still holds though and still is true, that a ton, and I mean A TON of people come out for fall baseball at every juco around here. I would say every team still has like 60+ guys come out in the fall. Guess that's what happens when there are only four universities (4 year schools) that have baseball here with the amount of kids and talent that kids here in AZ have. A close friend of mine that plays at Mesa told me about 75 came out in the fall of 2011. How exactly does this work? Can whoever that wants to come out can come out for fall baseball at the juco, or do ALL these kids sign with the college? And if so, do they knowingly sign and aware that they're competing with 60+ other players? Would you say it's still really tough to make it on a team around here like it was 10 years ago? Or would it be easier, just a little bit? 

Last edited by FlyEmirates7