Skip to main content

Reply to "BA by number of pitches"

part II - I don't like to label kids, especially since patience can be as much a factor of a pitcher who cannot find the plate.  Conversely, a player who consistently puts the ball in play on the first 2-3 pitches can be labelled aggressive.

I tend to study positive and negative counts and adjust accordingly.  Few teams are successful if they are constantly hitting in a negative count.  Conversely, if our pitchers get ahead early and can work in negative counts, we tend to have success.

Now, for the record, my son is a VERY patient hitter.  He routinely leads the team in walks and usually was in the top 3 in QAB from GC because of seeing alot of pitches.  He routinely takes until he gets a strike and works the pitcher deep into the count.  It's a good thing he can hit an off-speed pitch.  I personally think he takes too many pitches, and in particular too many good pitches (and sometimes he takes the BEST pitch).  On the other hand, he is a career HSV .394 hitter, so how can I argue with him?