Skip to main content

Reply to "Back to school 2022"

@JDUBSDAD posted:

Dropped off our freshman son at the dorm July 5th for summer school/weightlifting program that new players attend, and there were some tears from me and mom.  Initially, things at home seemed strange for everyone (mom had some crying sessions, sister slept on top of son's bed for the first couple weeks and the dog kept looking for his fetch partner), but it hit me the hardest.  No more marathon cage sessions, morning breakfasts before the girls got up or late-night "life discussions" in the back yard.  Instead, I am having to get back into some of my own hobbies, which isn't so bad, and I told my daughter that I now have more time to help her with dance (you can imagine her response).  Fortunately, son has a great roommate, really likes all of the incoming players and enjoyed the summer program.  He got to come home for a week before fall starts and we got in some fishing and great family time.  Even better, he asked me to go to the cages tonight!  I guess my daughter will have to wait one more day for those dance lessons !

Good luck to all of the families that are sending their players off for the fall.

Sounds very similar to our house except I'm the mom having the crying sessions!  I am also the "go to" parent for almost everything.  Dad is the BP guy and the mechanics guy, but I am the "heart to heart" parent.  My son will be starting his junior year all at the same school and being gone most of the summer for summer baseball will definitely help with the transition this year.  I always hate watching him go, but it does seem to get a little easier each year watching him grow into the man we hoped he would become.