Skip to main content

Reply to "Bad habit with scoring App."

schwammi,

You’re exactly right. The computer had nothing to do with it, and you’re correct about having to become a different if not better observer.

I’d love to have a backup, but I’m afraid that would be difficult in our situation, A spotter would be a tremendous aid as well, but I’m afraid that’s pretty much in the weeds as well. What I’ve come to do, is to have a tablet and pencil always at hand to record the game’s goin’s on until I can get things corrected and caught up. It doesn’t happen often that the roof caves in, but it definitely does happen.

The good news is, since I wrote the program I use, I also get to make changes to it that make things easier for me to recover when things go wrong. Its just that so many things can go wrong, and when you track as many things as I do, it takes some time to make sure everything’s corrected.

Where I made my biggest mistake, was when I designed and tested the program. I did it after the HS season 2 years ago, and worked on it all summer, testing the various things by scoring ML games using DirecTV’s MLB package. Once I got the basic program working, I’d score a game, write down all the things that didn’t work correctly, then get them fixed and score another game.

Eventually I got it to where things were pretty clean, and then came fall ball and the real test. Talk about a program farting in your face! I’d completely forgotten about things they do in HS that they don’t do in MLB. Simple things like reentry, courtesy runners were a nightmare to get working correctly. But the worst has been pitchers. I basically watched AL games, and I thought that would work out best because they use the DH just like HS. Unfortunately, very seldom does the pitcher in the AL bat, then move to another fielding position, or move from another fielding position, then bat.

Needless to say, the design flaw is all on me. I’m seriously considering making a major change to it after this season to correct that flaw. The main problem has been the way I track pitchers. For hitters its been pretty simple. Every PA is a new record, then when the game’s over I combine them and make game records.

But with pitchers I don’t do that. I make one record for each pitcher, and that’s where the problems lie. I’ve been thinking about it though, and I’m pretty sure I can add the new way without disturbing what’s going on now, so it’ll be interesting.

Yes, it did drive me crazy! The drive home is about 20 miles, and all that time I was thinking about what could have possibly gone wrong, and of course couldn’t rest until I got it figgered out. But its all great fun, and it’s a heck of a hobby.