Skip to main content

Reply to "Bad player behavior starting in high school?"

@Consultant posted:

Adbono;

The Coaches [COLLEGE, HS, Summer] have "NO respect" for the game. They truly do not understand. One time our Summer team in Northern California encountered a Coach and his team in the 1st base dugout "chipping" at our players.

During infield practice I instructed our 1st baseman on throws in the range of the dugout to drop his glove and "miss" the ball. The message was given and NO more "chipping". "Chin music" was not needed.

Bob

Yes, self policing the game is a beautiful thing and we need to get back to that. Years ago I was coaching in a travel ball tournament in Dallas (14U - I think) and was watching our scheduled starting pitcher warm up in the bullpen. But it was an open bullpen setup that wasn’t very private. The other team had a brash & mouthy young coach and he brought his entire team over to our bullpen and they formed a half circle about 10’ behind our catcher attempting to watch my pitcher warm up. I told my LHP to ignore the target and throw a fastball right into the middle of the other team. He was too nice of a kid and he wouldn’t do it. So I sent him to the bench and got another pitcher. His first warmup pitch scattered the other team and they went running. Problem solved.