Skip to main content

Reply to "Bad player behavior starting in high school?"

You would never see this from the teams I coached/coach.  I won't tolerate it.  In fact, in my parent meeting that the players had to attend with their parents, I set the tone early on including what was acceptable from parents.  Many years ago, I posted here that I had to remove a couple of parents over the years and one turned really nasty.  Again, I would not tolerate it.  We were in the sectional championship game and my starting pitcher yelled at the umpire.  I called time out, had another pitcher run to the bullpen and told the pitcher he would be done when the other pitcher was ready.  He was a great kid but the pressure of the moment got to him.  IMO, emotions like that can be used against a player or team.  I didn't allow myself to do any stupid stuff.  Believe me, over the years I've wanted to.  There are more important things than wins and a certain standard has to be maintained.  I wanted to build a program that everyone in my state knew.  We were fortunate to get that done BUT it was because the players bought in.  Finally, we were playing a school over twice our size but a school we needed to play since they were always good.  One of their bad actors made an out at 1st and dropped his pants showing his butt to everyone.  The HC didn't discipline him.  That was the last time we played that school.  As with most very good teams/programs, my players were competitors and when people did things like that, they wanted to turn the heat up.  Instead, we played ball.