Skip to main content

Reply to "Bad player behavior starting in high school?"

@TPM posted:

Nice post. It's the coaches responsibility to make sure that players discipline themselves through team leadership.

I will share a positive thing related to this.  My son's college team displays this consistently.  They are what I consider a model for team behavior in the traditional sense.  They don't chirp but are vocal all the time in a positive manner and not over hyped when not really necessary.

During the last weekend of the season which determined both seeding and admission to the conference tournament, one of our players bobbled a grounder, recovered and the runner beat it out by a hair,,,the play resulted in tying the game.  When he came in the dugout he swore and threw his glove into the bench,  several of the team leaders went over and told him flat out, "hey, we don't do that".  Then proceeded to let him know it would be okay and began to lift him back up.  No coach had to say anything.  This team attitude comes from the expectations set by the coaches, but it does have a more lasting affect when administered by the team leadership who know how much and how to apply it.

At the HS level it does probably need to come more from the coaches as it would take an extremely mature 17/18yo to be able to handle those leadership roles effectively and know the difference between punishment and correction.  That's also why there is a lot more that should go into assigning team captains then just whose the best player on the team.  There are some mature HS'ers out there, but much rarer than you'd find with 22/23yo college players