Skip to main content

Reply to "Balk"

quote:
Originally posted by Gingerbread Man:
[replying to a comment on FED rules] But, in the case as mentioned where the batter is calling for time and time hasn't been granted and the pitcher thinking time has been granted stops his pitching motion then....balk, balk balk all day long.

For FED, it is definitively not a balk.

6-4-2d
1. If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or (c) holds up his hand to request “Time,” it shall not be a balk. In (a) and (c), there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call “Time” and begin play anew.....

There's more to this rule involving consequences and penalties, and I suggest you read it. If you don't have the FED Rule and Case books, or haven't studied them, think about confining your posts in this forum to questions rather than opinions. Here's a recommendation: The electronic (PDF) form of the rules allow rapid searching to find the relevant rule and cases, and a non-umpire can download the books by paying a $20 membership fee to NFHS. I was able to find the above quote in less than one minute by searching on "balk". Of course it helped that I already knew the rule existed, and that the word "balk" is contained in the rule.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove