Skip to main content

Reply to "Bang for buck wood bat?"

lionbaseball posted:
Elijah posted:

Didn't realize that HS coaches would not let you hit with wood. 

There is still a misconception that metal bats outperform wood bats.  When in actuality its the players comfort level with whatever bat he uses that dictates how well he will hit.   

From what I've seen in our area, most high school coaches are very good game managers but are extremely ignorant on hitting and pitching techniques.   

Lion, you are right on.  There is absolutely no discernible difference between hitting with a good wood bat or metal BBCOR in games.  I have plenty of guys who use our bats instead of metal during the season.  Sometimes I'm informed of this by dads, so I ask how their son is doing.  It is usually something like "he leads the team in hitting" or "he's leading the league in hitting right now".  There is no downside.  It comes down to what a player is more comfortable using.  Of course, the metal companies are invested in wanting you to believe differently.  Gotta sell those $450 beauties with the really cool graphics.  Unfortunately, a lot of HS coaches have "bought it".  Many have not.  When the BBCOR rule went into effect I said that now it all comes down to marketing and graphics.  That's why you see a bat filled with helium.  Sheesh.

Ditto on the coaches.  Having coached for many years and kind of specializing in pitching and hitting mechanics, from my observations the vast majority of HS coaches have never educated themselves to the point where they can really help players improve their techniques.  It takes a lot of work to gain the knowledge to be able to do this and the plain fact is that most have not.  Thus, the industry for special pitching and hitting coaches at baseball academies.