Skip to main content

Reply to "Baptisms and Burials on a Ballfield"

Smoke,

You've obviously given this a lot of serious thought, and my condolences for your Dad's passing.  Was this planned with your Dad's wishes or just a loving son doing what loving son's do?  You've inspired me to action.   Recently, I've been talking to my parents about how to handle their affairs when they pass...not an easy topic but my parents have made it easy for me.   I'm going to ask my Dad what he wants me to do with his "cremains" (I like it!) when we're together for Thanksgiving.  I'll make sure I bring it up before we discuss politics, and he pisses off my wife.   He loves baseball , and my Uncle told me he was the best high school shortstop in the area at the time.   He showed me some newspaper clippings, and pictures.  He was a big deal.  Apparently baseball talent skips one generation in my family.

I'll show him the "Dude" video, but I suspect he's not looking for something as dramatic as a cliff over the Pacific on a windy day.  I'm hoping he doesn't tell me that he wants his remains spread over the ballpark where he grew up in Newark....I've seen it (only in daylight) and it is not in a nice part of town after all these years.  Fingers crossed.