Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball affecting academic decisions"

Fenways son finished his engineering degree at Cornel, I'm sure he'll chime in here.

My son contemplated Chemical Engineering. That lasted until the first day of class. He was warned off by his teammates (not his coach). Their advice, in hindsight, was spot on (my daughter is at the same school as a ChemE and the time commitment on this major is as great as baseball was for my son).

It is extremely difficult to succeed in any major which requires a large time commitment - especially if that major has lots of labs. My son's team has lots of would be engineering majors - until the end of first semester when the scramble to find a more suitable major occurs (to some extent the same scramble occurs in the general student population).

Think about it this way: off season, the boys devote a minimum of 25 hours a week to conditioning, individual workouts, captain's practices. In season, counting travel, the time comittment easily doubles (and I'm referring to his program - at an academic school  which is not really all that competitive in D1; power programs are more intense).

At his athletic graduation banquet, one (yes, a single athlete out of approximately 200) was recognized as heading to medical school - and his major was economics. There were no other science or engineering majors recognized.

That having been said, son finished dead middle of his class with a legit Econ degree. He had no problem getting interviews and job offers in the consulting and IB fields. The fact that he competed for four years at the D1 level really seemed to boost his resume - over many students with far better GPAs. Employers look very favorably at these boys - they have so many of the "soft" skills needed in the real world, but seemingly not taught at college.

One thing that we - the parents - needed to do was lower our expectations on the academic front. Getting perfect grades was no longer even a remote possibility. The lowering of our expectations (to "give it a legitimate effort") really reduced everyone's stress levels.

Last edited by Goosegg