Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball and girlfriends"

I'm lucky that my girlfriend understands that at this point in life, baseball is taking priority over alot of things and sometimes I simply don't have the time to do the "normal teenage" things that most couples enjoy doing.

But then again, we're about as far from normal as a teenage couple can get. She lives in San Diego, I live in Atlanta. Delicate situation to say the least, but we make it work (2 years in October).

She's starting college this fall (actually this summer), I'm going into my Senior year, and we're both going to undoubtedly run into some rough spots over the course of the next couple months. Sounds odd, but I'm looking forward to it...we're each other's biggest supporters and to express it in it's simplest form, we just want each other to be happy. It's that thought that always motivates me to work harder at what I do, simply because I don't want to dissapoint her, my family, and of course myself.

In the long run, I hope everything involving her turns out great, but if it doesn't....it wasn't meant to be. My focus right now is getting better, and finding a college. Two years from now, she could be gone....but I don't want all the work I've put in over my life to go for nothing. I need something to show for it, and I absolutely WON'T allow anyone or anything to stand in my way of that. The beautiful thing about all of this is, she not only understands this, but agrees full heartedly to it. She has her own promising future as an artist, and she feels the same way about her craft as I do about mine.

All in all, girlfriends can be a severe distraction for those who don't have their "eyes on the prize", but if you remain steady in what you're doing, and have the love and support of that special someone, things will turn out great.

-Guy Who Has A Girlfriend