Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Dads"

I don't know your son, your husband or you.  So I'm a little reluctant to weigh in, cause family dynamics are tricky and way above my pay grade.

But I will say this. I admit that there are definitely time when a kid needs and deserves a stern uncompromising message from a parent.  I mean if a kid is blowing off his schoolwork, running with the druggies and is in danger of really and truly screwing up his life chances, then you have to do everything that's within your power to try to wake the kid up to the bed of roses he's planting for himself. 

But also have to say that it's darned hard for me to  imagine how, in the context of baseball, a dad can be driven to say "you'll never make anything of your life"  (especially if the kid is not a general purpose screwup --and I've hardly met a kid who has stuck with baseball all the way through HS of whom that could be said.)  I can't for the life of me figure out a scenario that would even tempt me to want to say that to a kid or really young man. 

Baseball is a great thing.  I love the sport and love even more that my son loves the sport and has worked so hard at it.  But the fact is baseball is totally OPTIONAL.  There are many, many versions of a well lived life that do not include baseball.

That's a way of saying that your  husband definitely needs to chill.  And as somebody said above, it has to be your son's dream.  And the parents role is just to empower and enable the dreamer.  It's not their role to make the dream come true.  It's not their role to pursue the dream on behalf of the son.