Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Dads"

Originally Posted by MomofA:

After every game (and sometimes during) my son gets to hear all the things he can do to improve his game. How he should've done this, could've done that or why didn't he do something. He just graduated from high school, playing summer ball, visiting small colleges and talking to coaches. In the meantime it seems like they can't even look at each other without fighting and I feel completely stuck in the middle. I don't think my husband is "helping" like he believes he is and I'm afraid he's only putting more pressure on my son. I don't know what to do or how to help anybody at this point. Same story every game day..husband tells him what he needs to do, son says something smart because that's all he ever hears, husband tells him how he'll never make anything of his life. 

There is an old Conway Twitty song called "That's my job" and one of the verses says "Later we barely got along, this teenage boy and he
Most of the fights it  seems were over different dreams
We each held for me"

As a mom, find out what your son's dreams are.  Are they aligned with your husbands? I know kids that attempted to play college ball b/c they felt that was what was expected.  My son and many other son's will tell you that college baseball is not for everyone.  It is a long hard road. Yes my son loves it but there are days that he would say, "sometimes I wish I was just a normal college student".  I would ask if he wanted to quit and he says no; he was either just tired or frustrated, etc.  Does your son think this is what is expected and he doesn't have a say?   There are talks that only moms can have with their sons and there are talks that only wives can have with their husbands; and I think you need to have one with each of them.

Good luck!!