Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Dads"

Originally Posted by MomofA:

His point of view is if son can't handle his criticism he'll never make it in college because everybody will telling him what to do and how to do it to make him better constantly

I can say this is not the case for most college baseball players. You are told what is expected of you early on, eg: be a good student, be on time, respect the game, be a good teammate, work hard, hustle, etc. If those expectations aren't met, they will get on you, some harder than others. In terms of making physical or mental mistakes, yes, sometimes they will fly off their rocker, but most of they time they understand because they were ballplayers themselves.

I never once had a college coach nitpick at anything I did. If there were things off, it was always a learning experience. Typically they want you to figure out the problem yourself and if you cannot, they tell you what they see. I cannot think of a single instance I was told of "my mistakes" after the game. When I got chewed out it was because I was being an idiot. If I came into a game and got roughed up, the worst thing that happened is I wouldn't get a pat on my rear end and my coach wouldn't say a word as I handed him the ball.

I am glad the rest of the night went well for you guys.