Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Factory Tryout - age: almost 12"

4seamer I know you are excited about baseball and getting to do this with your son.  I am happy that the two of you have a baseline to work from....BUT....I have to say that those numbers are useless long term.

I have a 13 year old in 8th grade.  The averages around here for 8th grade (as I've seen them) are:

60 time = 7.5-8.0

Arm Strength = 70mph- 75mph

Pop time = 2.1-2.3

Exit velocity (I have no idea)

Home to 1B = I saw a lot of these during team tryouts, I don't recall seeing anyone over 5.0, typically landing between 4.1-4.5

Average pitching speed is 75-80mph.

Average height of player = 5'5-5'8

Average weight = 130-180#

I have no idea where they got their numbers from, but these are the numbers I have seen with my own eyes.

I am not saying your son isn't a great blocker/player, I'm sure he is for his age, but when his body changes it will be an entirely different kid.  His size and weight are an advantage right now, but he won't be able to move like that for much longer.

My six year old daughter and my 13 year old son often have a competition of who can hold the plank position longer, the 6 year old girl almost always wins because it's a lot easier to hold up 40 pounds with kid muscles than it is to hold up a 5'9, 160# kid with kid muscles.  The adult muscles are coming, but they aren't here yet. Until they arrive I'm not counting any stat he has.