Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Factory Tryout - age: almost 12"

Ok the one thing I still have to disagree with - as I did when I first joined and as I suspect I will when I die or leave the board - is this idea that you can't project 12 year olds...  as I have said before I am old and was a coach long before being a parent.  The same kids (yes with a few exceptions) we identified in our camps were the same kids who were later successful varsity players.  My son is now going into 14u.  And again with very few exceptions the same kids who were talented at 9 are the same kids who are still talented at 14.  And I suspect in a couple years I will say at 16.  I think where this disconnect comes from is how we define 'good' or 'stud' etc.  I guess I have always looked at kids and thought to myself is that a player when he is 18?  Yes there are some kids who have a little success early on and later fail.  But I think a trained eye would have predicted most of those failures.   Therefore they are not truly studs at any point regardless if they hit a few 205 ft. Home runs at 12.  I think the other thing that contributes to this is the idea that kids on travel teams are automatically considered 'studs'.  Other than the big big time travel teams every travel team has some questionable players.  So to say later down the road "oh look at that 'stud' ha ha ha from the travel team now.  He didn't even make his jv team."  Again he was never a stud in the first place!  Now granted hs baseball around here is a bit watered down but there are only two or three players on my son's team who are not slam dunks to make high school teams.  And very good chance they all do.  Now if one of them decides not to play to focus on the weight room for football...  thats not really a fail that is a choice.  From the experiences of my childhood to my coaching and now parenting I can say with very few exceptions that the studs (real studs) at 12 were still studs at say 16.