Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Factory Tryout - age: almost 12"

One of the most amazing things I have ever seen was at a 12 year old tournament we did at East Cobb  years ago.

I walked down to watch one of the games and I will never forget what I saw.  12 year olds, some looked like they were barely 4 foot tall and a 6'3" pitcher throwing so hard that it looked extremely dangerous, especially from that distance.  I felt like calling the game off, but didn't.

I went to our guiy behind the screen and asked how hard this kid was throwing. He was up to 84 mph at 12 years old.  I was used to watching the Little League World series and seeing the top guys in the 60s or low 70s.  Then having them flash the MLB equivilant speed on the screen in the 90s. If you added an additional 1/3 it would be 120+ mph.  That is a speed that ML hitters would suffer at.  Only this was against little 4 foot tall 12 year olds. Luckily he didn't hurt anyone other than some parents and I that damn near had a heart attack.

Never seen anything quite like that! Which reminds me, I need to look that kid up and see where he is now.