Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball has come back to me"

CD, I post slightly more than you, but not much more.  IMO, it is fascinating to watch our son be a Dad and a baseball Dad to our 9 year old Grandson. Having a Dad who was both a college coach and a coach in the Cape clearly means our Grandson gets better Dad coaching than our son.

The first real interesting development came with Travel ball.  Our Grandson went to 2 travel tryouts.  Both ended up being scheduled to last 4 years. Our son pulled Derek out after just over an hour. He then found a local program called "Speedball."  It is what youth baseball should be all about, IMO. It  supplements little league and does not run concurrently. Kids are well coached, constantly in action over 2 hours and truly learn to love playing the game, and playing it the right way. Just my view, but if Speedball can get wider traction, there will be little to no need for travel ball through at least ages 15 or so.

As a HS AD, our son is also helping some really talented players on the HS team get National exposure using social networking, Twitter and other resources, along with his contacts from playing and coaching.

Pretty fun journey, for sure.