Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball has come back to me"

@ClevelandDad,

I can relate, I’ve only recently come to enjoy baseball again. I went and watched our local independent ball team this month – first time I’ve watched a game where I didn’t know a player or player’s parent in many years. In fact, the highs and lows, of the minor league grind coupled with the physical, mental, and financial toll it exacts from the athletes turned me away from all professional sports for some time.

After going through the whole process, I feel like the message to shout from the rooftops is “Enjoy the moment and journey!” If your athlete is successful and enjoying themselves, breath it in and cherish the moments without the next level taking all the focus. That and “Be more kind!”, because being a baseball parent, coach, blue or player isn’t easy…  

I’m envious of the grandkid(s), as I’m nearly 60 and short-term prospects are not looking favorable… Thank you for sharing your eloquent thoughts, and this site has helped me realize that I’m not alone in PBPS (Pro Baseball Parental Stress).