Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball in 15 - 2O years."

Ad, I agree with much of what you write.  I have three boys, all of whom have, or will be pursuing baseball homes at high academic schools.  The oldest went through the recruiting process and is in his first year at a D3 program, the middle one is a junior in HS and planning carefully to be seen this summer, and youngest is a 2022, currently playing intermediate ball. 

The older boy's journey included several showcases and two travel team trips.  The d3 focused showcases were the most helpful for him.  The travel team events were not productive, but they were fun.  They weren't productive because they were focused on d1 players and we learned that he was a d3 player late because we really didn't know any better.  No one promised us anything, though, so I don't feel like we were misled. My #2 may have a shot at d1 because he's big and fast, but we are again focusing on d3 for him and if d1 happens at the right school, so be it.  He's slated to go to showcases that allow him to be seen by both.  He will also do a travel team trip with a chance to be seen by mid to low level d1.  the 2022, well, I'm just trying to help him figure out how to throw a changeup. 

Our experience is ultimately different from most on the board because no one comes to our state to scout unless they're looking at bona fide d1 studs. We have to go to the scouts, which means the cost is unavoidable for what we're trying to do. The hard part is guessing which showcase my kids will perform best at, i.e., there's no way of knowing.  Given that, how many showcases are too many?  Obviously, that's a personal choice, but the money involved is sobering.