Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball in 15 - 2O years."

ironhorse posted:

I agree with a whoooooole lot of what is written on this thread. Pointing the problems out is becoming easier as the situations Ad described are so common place. The bigger question to me is:

How do we swing the pendulum the other way?

It's got to be possible, albeit difficult. I have some thought on it, but it's all predicated on the generosity of baseball people, who are already very taxed for time, and the buy-in of parents to try a different model for success. Both of those seem tricky...

Any thoughts on solutions?

Here are some thoughts about that :

The first is honesty. Any person that claims to be a baseball person has the responsibility to be honest in the assessment of any player, IMHO.  Misleading a player or a parent in order to receive income from them is just wrong!  I have always told the truth in my evaluations of players and I have made a lot of people mad.  But I don't care. I don't do what I do for money. I do it because it keeps me connected to the game and it is my version of community service. Just like baseball guys should be honest, players & parents need to be willing to accept the truth even if its not what they want to hear. 

Next - about parents. Parents need to be more educated consumers when it comes to baseball. You wouldn't put 30K in a real estate investment without doing your diligence, right?  So why are you willing to invest that amount in your son's baseball based on blind faith - or word of mouth?  Do some fact checking on these travel ball organizations & private instructors before you sign up with them.  Talk to previous parents & players that have worked with them. Verify the things that they publish on their website. Treat them more as you would in a business setting - because believe me that's how they are treating you !

Now, about HS coaches.......with apologies up front to all the good HS coaches on this board, the fact is that there are not enough of you to go around. We need more good HS baseball coaches!  Coaching isn't a 9 - 5 job on M-F.  Coaching doesn't take the summer off.  I know, this sounds absurd to good coaches but guess what ?  Its real.  Parents, if your HS has one of these guys its on to you to demand better. Your chances of doing something about it will increase if you band together. Trust me, the school board in my city knows who I am - and I'm not popular there. 

All of that would be a good start.