Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball in 15 - 2O years."

I don’t know how it could ever turn back. At son’s HS, the kids who played high level travel ball appear to enter the program ready to contribute and a lot (not all) of the kids who stayed in rec ball got cut recently. 

I think most parents want to have their kids compete at the highest level and sometimes the rec scenario just can’t offer that. At least not in my neck of the woods.

I actually coached my son’s travel team from 10-13U and we worked very hard to keep the costs down with sponsorships and fundraising. Each family’s fees the final year was about $500 and that included ten tournaments.

Another thing that we did was make sure that the kids had fun. The kids could swim on out of town trips (some teams didn’t allow that), we had dance contests at the end of practice and lot of practice drills resulted in some type of competition with a prize. I also discussed the plans with our parents and gave them a vote on how they would spend their hard-earned money.

Over the years I made some great connections and early on they would let me know what showcases my son should shoot for and what to avoid. I think that finding someone who has been through the process or this site is the best way to navigate through all of the noise.

If a kid desires to play beyond college, I’m not sure if travel ball isn’t the best way to prepare him.  

Last edited by hshuler