Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball 2014"

Originally Posted by 13LHPdad:
Originally Posted by okballdad:

Well junior is now 3 and 1 on the season. And getting better every outing, team is 6 and 5. He went 4and1/3 innings 2 hits 1 earned run ( more on that later)9k's. Son had a shut out going into the fifth. Leaves my son on mound and subs all second string players in including catcher. Son strikes out 1 st batter but catcher is struggling catching and ends up dropping third strike and catcher doesnt throw to first. Runner safe. Then junior is a lefty and catches R1 leaning towards second and makes the throw to first,has runner picked off and second string first baseman throws ball away runner safe at second. This is were my son needs to learn to control his emotion. He began pitching next batter with to much emotion and ump sees and can feel it. And ends up walking him mostly cause catcher could not catch one pitch all bounced out of catchers glove. I could see steam coming out of my sons ears. Coach goes to mound and takes my son out and tells him my fault I thought catcher could do a better job.

We had a six run lead going into fifth. And I understand coach needing to get second string some playing time. But we start district play next week. and my son was ok with coaches decision but he was bummed he didn't get tofinish cause the second string allowed the runners to score so he got tagged with the earned run. All of this on top of four errors behind him.

but it fun watching my son grow as a pitcher. But he is struggling at the plate, he is starting 1b when not on mound. He is 0 for 12 in last 3 games average has fell from 350 to 250 and that is truly messing with his thought process at the plate. His swing still looks good and he is making contact, no strikeouts in last 12 ab's just a bad case of hit it right at em. Ok I am done rambling, high school season goes fast gentleman enjoy it while you can.

It's nice to hear about your son's pitching successes on the field.  I'm sure his hitting will come around.  As for the 2nd stringer comments, I think a successful pitcher needs to learn leadership on the field.  There's nothing wrong with being frustrated over erros/mis-plays.  Good leaders hide that emotion (some of it shows a little) and pick their teammates up.  Once he's pulled from the mound or after the game, that's when he can show some frustration/emotions. 

Good luck to your son, he sounds like a talented pitcher!  

Well Junior is just a freshmen. so he has some time to mature, and hopefully learn to lead his team from the mound. thanks for the kind words a weekend of tourney play begins today.