Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Needs Leadership"

I am sure there are many football fans on here so I will temper my comments somewhat on what I really think about football, the game and its players, its television coverage and its marketing...

Football is not really about the game. It is an experience, You go to the game; you tailgate or you stay at home and have a party with friends and watch the game on TV.. every aspect of the telecast being devoted to entertainment... not really about the nuances of the game. It occurred to me once that for many watching football it is a lot like having Halloween every weekend. Fans can dress up in a costume and be something they arent; behave in a manner that is totally opposite of their weekly persona and just let off steam... all the time watching players who draw attention the themselves with the next over the top cell phone expression of "ME" after a touchdown. You never hear about respect for the game... Honestly I am still stunned that Vince McMahon's WWE experiment with football didn't work out.

Baseball is for the most part the antithesis of this. It is a game where the nuances and the strategy of the game itself being played are what make the game enjoyable. It is a game where a family can sit on the stands and create memories of watching for just one day in a baseball player's career a sliver of their greatness and remember that day for the rest of their lives... like Bob Costas can recall seeing Willy Mays play CF or I can recall Bob Gibson get his 3000th strikeout or my father relating seeing, in 1935, Satchel Paige outduel Dizzy Dean 1-0 in an exhibition game. Do you think anyone would remember let alone brag that they were in attendance the day Ocho Cinco broke any record?

The differences in the two sports is emblematic of what our society has become. Football is a mile wide and an inch deep and baseball is an inch wide and a mile deep.

Give me the latter.
Last edited by bothsportsdad