Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Needs Leadership"

I think it is an interesting topic on many levels. I've always wondered why college baseball does not get more TV coverage than it does. You hear the complaints of the game being slow compared with football and basketball, but they are obviously not true baseball fans.
Regardless, two quick thoughts on how to grow the game.
First make the NL & AL championships as well as the WS be broadcast early enough for kids to stay up and watch. I cannot tell you how many times my baseball loving son fell asleep because of the late hour, all the commercials, etc. Heck we had to put him to sleep for his own good because games ran so late he needed sleep for an upcoming test the next day in school.
Second, they need to do something to prevent the same big money teams from buying the championship every single year. It is hard to follow teams in smaller markets and build a loyal fan base when all their good players will be gone in a couple of years. Take the Oakland A's for example. That team has produced so many great players only to have them gobbled up by the Yankees/Redsox etc. Take their top players for the last 10 years and put them on the field together, and very few teams would beat them. Instead the A's are always struggling because all their talent follows the deep pockets.
More to come.