Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Parents - Where do you sit?"

Great thread - For this summers HS season we're sitting right where "Baseball Moms" is written on the map.   Our HS has a parking lot has a elevated parking lot along Right Field and they auction off reserved parking spots to raise $$ for the program.  We like to watch from there for the following reasons:

1.  Son can't look at us and make eye contact when the game is on.  Over the years I've seen a lot of kids look at a parent every time something goes wrong or things get tough... It's almost like kids are looking for someone to give them an excuse to fail or validate why they didn't swing at strike 3.  I've also seen a lot of parents yelling instructions (which screw up kids more than help them IMO).  Sitting this far away helps me from falling into both of those traps because I'm definitely not perfect and could easily do those things too.

2.  It also spaces us out from other parent and fans.  Sometime we get paranoid when our kid is pitching and it's not going well.  We don't like to hear any negative comments about ANY of the players, coaches and umpires.  That doesn't mean that I might not utter those comments under my breath or make comments to my wife.  It does however keep other parents/spectators further away from us to keep from hearing these private thoughts.

3.  I might enjoy Friday night games with a couple cold "pops" in Yeti can cooler.