Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Percentage Transferring at D1 Level"

I looked at son's freshman class, 2019,  to now three years later.  Son's class is 33% gone from 2020 roster to today.  All 4/12 were pitchers.  2020 class 5/16 so 31% with all but 1 being a pitcher.  2018 class was 25% with all being pitchers.  Couldn't tell before that and would be affected by new staff coming in.  I think it will be about 35-40% now with one time transfer.

I would be interested to know if the numbers are consistent at other schools with more pitchers leaving than position guys.  I think if you are not getting any pitching time after your sophomore year you probably are not going to get mound time at any given school.  I also think that coaches take more chances on pitchers than they do position players.

I also noticed something that I should have caught but I reckon I just missed it in the transfers.  Of the 4 my sons year 3 were local kids.  My son who coaches juco has to take so many local kids each year.  Of the 5 the previous year, 4 were local/in state kids.  All the year before were in state kids.  These are the ones that I think coaches are pressured to take because they have success in high school and it doesn't cost them anything.  Willing to bet none of them were on scholarship.

I looked at several in state P5 schools and they were not much different.  The majority of kids leaving were pitchers, except this year at USC, and were in state players.