Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball players everywhere at every level..."

Great post, and the sad thing is, this will be more than just a 2020 impact on baseball and those that play it.  Particularly for this forum, which is filled with parents/kids dreaming of college baseball, the damage is irreparable.  I feel bad for those still trying to get there--it won't be the same if they do make it.

More and more colleges are going to cut baseball and other sports as they struggle with the massive financial hit from the lockdowns.  Heck, forget sports, more and more colleges are going to fold permanently.  The more schools have demonstrated learning can occur offsite, the more they raise the necessity of their campus existence.  I am not saying it is the most effective way to learn, but given the exorbitant cost of college, who can blame kids for saying no thanks to in person college.

I don't know what the final decision will be on MLB, but the change in the draft and the drastic changes in the minors also makes professional baseball less of a possibility as well.  

Yes, there are bigger issues than what has happened to baseball and sports, but anything that makes life have less interest and meaning to so many is devastating.