Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Players Who Play High School Football"

The best you can do is live your life the way you choose. Stuff happens! If athletes could avoid injuries they would.

We didn’t let our son play football until middle school. He stepped right in and quickly advanced beyond most of the kids who had been playing Pop Warner for a few years. The varsity coach wanted to prime him to become the varsity QB junior year.

My son decided summer before freshman year he didn’t want to play football anymore. He was concerned he would get injured and miss basketball and baseball.

Even though soccer was always his best sport he was going to give up soccer. He figured he needed the fall for fall ball and “optional” basketball work.

By the end of the first week of September he was bored not playing a fall sport. He begged the varsity soccer coach to put him in the program. He went from JV to starting varsity goalie by the end of freshman year.

Soph year he was cut from the basketball program despite being the starting freshman point guard. There were knowledgeable basketball people who thought he would be in the varsity rotation soph year. He was cut for not playing summer league basketball and missing all optional workouts. The basketball coach preferred one sport athletes. His only two sport athletes tended to be 6’5” to 6’7”. My son was playing three sports.

So, now he’s a soccer player and a baseball player. He never got hurt playing football. He never got hurt playing basketball. He was momentarily paralyzed (a minute seemed like hours) playing soccer when he took a knee into his neck making a headlong, diving save. He tore his MCL and PCL on a fluke baseball collision at the plate scoring on a short blocked wild pitch. He fell and separated his shoulder requiring surgery during rehab.

His baseball injuries caused him to miss the most crucial recruiting summer and soccer that fall.

The moral of the story? Have no fear. Live your life. If you want something badly enough it will all work out. It did for him.

I played football, basketball and baseball in high school and baseball in college. I never got injured. I never broke a bone. I didn’t break a bone until my sixties when I got flipped off my bike and broke my hand landing on it. Biking isn’t a non contact sport when you’re around Massachusetts drivers.

Last edited by RJM