Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Players Who Play High School Football"

@PitchingFan Wow, that's shocking compared to around here.  I just looked at the top 15 players (according to PBR) here for 21s and 22s.  26 of the 30 were baseball-only guys in high school.  25 went D1, 2 to D2 and 3 Jucos.  This is far from scientific or holistic, but what it's not, is an advertisement to play multi sports in HS.

One thing I don't believe anyone has touched on yet, is the brand-building aspect of this.  When you don't have a second sport to split time with, you're in a much better position to do more baseball stuff like camps, clinics, specialty instruction, indoor/online hitting leagues, hop on planes to play ball where it's always warm, etc.  More tweets.  More exposure.  More coaches, instructors, scouts, RCs, etc. seeing you and talking about you.  Right or wrong, those things factor in.  The 2-sport guys I see - especially football players - largely ghost all things baseball during football season.  Basketball too.  For lots of reasons, that is a good thing.  But branding-building?  Nope.  Around here, I'd argue that dual sport guys are somewhat thought of as guys who are less serious about baseball.  Even if it's just a little, I don't think it's a label that any kid necessarily wants.  Not that I am bitter about it, but my 2021 Juco player was a D1 recruit according to every measurable.  Very successful on the field as well.  While a couple D1s got close to offering, they never did.  Because of playing football 9th-11th grade (which essentially runs June-November here), my son simply had less time to build his baseball brand.  Without football, I think there's at least an argument that he'd be at a D1 right now.  But neither he nor I have any regrets about it.  He's VERY likely where he's supposed to be right now.  Just my 2 cents ($0.00 when adjusted for inflation).