Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Players Who Play High School Football"

@DanJ just playing devil's advocate, these are from the bios of last year's roster where my son committed:

Player 1: Also lettered four times in basketball; Player 3: Also lettered in football; Player 4: Lettered three times in football...Started three years at quarterback; Player 5: Also lettered once in basketball; Player 6: Also lettered twice in football; Player 7: Also lettered five times in basketball; Player 10: Also lettered three times in football...Tabbed honorable mention all-district at quarterback at a senior; Player 17: Also lettered twice in football; Player 18: Also lettered three times in football...Two-time first-team all-region and all-county performer in football; Player 20: Also lettered four times in football and three times in track and field...Two-time all-state selection in football...Three-time state finalist in the 100-meter dash...Two-time regional and district 100-meter dash champion...Owns school record in 100-meter dash; Player 21: Also lettered four times in track and field, three times in football and once in basketball; Player 24: Earned four letters in football...Was named team offensive MVP in football as a senior; Player 26: Also lettered four times in basketball, football and soccer; Player 28: Also lettered twice in football...Helped East Central to a 13-1 record, a South State title and an appearance in the 4A MHSAA Championship Game as a senior...Amassed 66 receptions for 1,359 yards and 15 touchdowns as a tight end/wide receiver in two seasons. He's also a  tight end on the college football team; Player 29: Missed his freshman and sophomore seasons due to a torn ACL each year...Also lettered twice in football This one represents the risks; Player 30: Also lettered twice in football; Player 31: Also competed in hockey and volleyball...Drafted in the eighth round of the 2016 Ontario Hockey League Draft by the Owen Sound Attack; Player 32: Also lettered twice in bowling I did not make this up; Player 33: Also lettered twice in football...Earned all-county honors as a quarterback; Player 36: Also lettered twice in football; Player 38: Also lettered three times in basketball and once in football.

That's 21 out of 38 of a CWS roster played other sports for at least one year in HS.

Some of these guys suffered with their HS baseball rankings because they played football or other sports. Many of them did not (just a reminder that PBR and PG rankings don't matter as much as people think). And showing up on day 1 mashing is important but so is development over time. Player 28's playing time and production has gradually increased over time until he was the starting LF (who ironically shared innings with Player 30). I may have messed up the numbers a little bit but the descriptions are pulled straight from their published bios.

The reason I am so passionate about this is because my son and others were strongly encouraged NOT to play basketball by the baseball coach at his first school. Most of them would not have made varsity and they would have quit on their own anyway but they lost a year of enjoyment, comraderie and fun and I can promise you it did not improve their baseball future at all. The ones playing baseball at the next level still would have even if they had played an extra year of basketball. One poor guy gave up basketball and was still cut from the HS baseball team the next year.,

I would never tell a parent/player they had to play another sport but I also believe no one has the right to tell a player NOT to play another sport either because there are proven benefits to both. The older you get, the closer you are to your end goal, the harder the decision...

Last edited by PTWood