Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Program Philosophy"

IMO, debates on coaches and philosophies may be interesting but can be counterproductive if the kids get involved -- i.e. I've seen kids at various levels use it as an excuse rather than focus on getting better.

Seems like there are almost as many approaches and philosophies to the game as there are coaches and each is borne of their own personal experiences, successes and failures. Some will be right and some wrong but in the end it won't matter to the kids involved here and now. I'd also add that I doubt a coaches philosophy is as simple as what can be put into 3 short paragraphs (e.g. if Nolan Ryan can't run a 6 minute mile I'm pretty sure they'd find a place for him anyway).

My advice (admittedly not worth much) is to tell your child that if the coach wants a 6 minute mile he better do the things necessary to be able to run that and if the coach isn't going to instruct, you better find outside instuctors to develop in areas he needs help. Not trying to be critical at all but a focus on what the coach isn't doing v. focusing on what the kid needs to do to get to where he wants to go, is counterproductive.
Last edited by Riders03