Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Program Philosophy"

I was a high school coach that required a sub six minute mile to play varsity ball. It was done to 1) judge the level of committment a player was willing to make 2) show a slower less athletic kid that anything is possible if you set your mind to it 3) help develope a TEAM because they all had accomplished it 4) give my team a phycological edge over our opponents. 5) most have quit reading by now. I never in 18 years as a Varsity coach had a kid not make it. Many looked like they had won the lottory when they achieved their time. Celebrations always followed the last man to make it. Team mates would pace the last man standing to aid him in his efforts. I had 63 players move on and play at the next level and most would visit and inquire if we were still running that mile. Most would comment how that helped them in life after HS ball. There are many programs that win games that don't run it and many that win games that do run it. IMO be thankful that your coach requires it and start training like a mad man and you'll spend your time more wisely that questioning his philosophy.