Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Program Philosophy"

quote:
Originally posted by longballs:
I sure would like to hear Funneldrill and Ken Guthries opinion !!!

There isn't much to add that hasn't already been said by Swingdoctor and TurnTwo.

In my first spring training as a Brewer, the whole minor league organization had to run a 6 minute mile.

As a summer coach, we do not run the mile simply because we don't have enough time to spend on things besides baseball itself. One advantage HS coaches have over summer coaches is time to build team chemistry. Swingdoctor touches on this with his post. Adversity builds a team. A 6 minute mile can be adversity.

Lastly, year 2000 in Baltimore and 2 years away from the game as a player. Rusty and I were having an argument over player conditioning in the dugout of Camden Yards during a rain delay. I popped off and said "I haven't done squat in almost 3 years and I can still run a 6 minute mile." The dugout erupted and cash rewards were flying all over the place.

The next day I showed up early to the park with first base coach Ed Napolean "Nappy" and strength coach Tim Lang. Rusty and I agreed 4 times around the warning track would be a mile.

After the first lap I thought I was going to die. Literally.

But with a bunch of cash on the line I wasn't quitting.

5 minutes 55 seconds was my time.

That day I learned "mind over matter" was even more powerful that I originally thought.

I was also $4500 richer.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie