Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball really isn't that Important"

In all seriousness this is a scary thing but it is a testament to how wonderful life is in America that the notion of a potentially life threatening event to a youngster is even considered something traumatic.  

For those of us old enough to have lived long enough it was not that long ago when 10's of thousands died in wars, heart attacks killed people in their 30's and cancer of almost any type was a death sentence.  I can remember as a kid playing with my plastic M-16 thinking it would not be much longer before I got a real one for Vietnam so I could go kill gooks.  I could hardly wait - and it never happened.  I realized almost immediately at 18 how lucky I was.  

None of this is any longer the case and it is something to be grateful for.  In 1900 70% of people died before age 65 and now over 75% of people live well beyond that age.

As Americans all of us should be grateful that we live in the best of times that human beings have ever experienced. Somehow we have become so small that we no longer consider the blessings of the wonderful things in our every day lives.  This thread should remind us of this basic truth.