Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Recruiting Timeline In The Aftermath of COVID-19"

@Eokerholm posted:

Like PitchingFan, my son wanted to go East to school from Texas, so I disagree with your blanket comment about not traveling for the Big Events. You have to go where you can be seen - by the people you want to be seen by.

His point, which I agree with, is that those big tournaments are only useful for a percentage of players with your son being part of that percentage. 

Not counting 2020 there are about 400 teams that enter the WWBA every year. That tournament is a complete waste for 250 teams straight off the bat. The pool winners belong. The rest it's really a coin flip depending on who they play against and whether their coach is connected. 

If you want to play big boy baseball, the events are necessary. The problem is, the majority of the field can't play at that level, either nobody tells them this or they don't realize it so it is wasted money. The point is that you can plan smarter, save money, stay local and still find a place to play. Going to Georgia with an 84 mph fastball isn't going to do anything for anyone. But going to a camp of a school that has already expressed interest in that 84 mph fastball will save you a week in a hotel, a flight, meals, etc and you know they are already interested.