Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball stat heads tracked 4M pitches to prove that umpires really are blind"

Just curious. 

Even if umpires are wrong 20% of the time, is it bothering anybody? Are there people who shut the TV off when an umpire punches somebody out on a borderline call? I hear all this talk about why we need robot umpires and an electronic strike zone, but fail to understand why. That one missed call is almost always a 50/50 ball that is a hair off the plate, or high/low. I've been watching a lot of baseball and haven't really seen anything so egregious it warrants the removal of home plate umps. 

I think this is analytics taken too far. There is some nerd who has most likely never played baseball sitting in a room somewhere tracking pitches and determining that baseball needs to do something about the "umpire problem". MLB probably has the best officiating of any of the 4 major sports. 

If someone is going to make this argument, might as well have no umpires and let the computers make all the calls. No challenges, no arguments and a faster game. Go all in