Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball stat heads tracked 4M pitches to prove that umpires really are blind"

Dominik85 and PABaseball,

Thank you for making my point.   You (and me) are not the people that MLB needs to targeting.  You are not in your teens, twentys or thirties.  Every major sport is modernizing, automating and transforming their business to compete with other major sports to their existing fanbase and trying to bring new ones into the fold.   I gave you my example of tennis, although I would consider tennis a major world sport...it is not a major sport in the United States.  Yes, tennis is progressive and probably ahead of the curve.  The game is fast and there is a lot of money on the line through sponsorships and prize money.   Nobody wanted bad line calls (especially on 140+ mph serves) and there could be no suggestion of line calls being influenced by others...betting is allowed in Europe.  I can name a half dozen really bad line calls in major championships before the ATP and WTA agreed to implement video and computer line calls.  80% right is not good enough period.... in any professional sport.  Let's give professional athletes the best possible system not the same system we have in sandlots and Little League fields.   This is absolutely ridiculous to me.  I happen to love both tennis and baseball, but they are on opposite ends of the spectrum.   Baseball doesn't realize it has a problem...20% of the time.   Tennis knew it had a problem and did something about it.   I'd really like to know what the younger professional baseball players at all levels would (honestly) think if they could have a predictable, and accurate strike zone (based on their specific dimensions) 100% of the time or if they prefer 80%.  

As always, JMO.