Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball workouts during winter sports?"

When my son was in middle school during the winter he played middle school basketball, travel basketball and rec basketball. Basketball was seven days per week. Being his travel and rec ball coach I had access to the gyms. Two weeks before middle school baseball he started bringing his glove to basketball practice. We stayed for a half hour after practice to throw three days per week. He didn’t hit the batting cages until a week before baseball started. Travel baseball (I coached) had practices Sunday’s nights during the school baseball season. We didn’t play tournaments until school ball was over. 

Freshman year of high school he played on the freshman basketball team. His travel baseball team had practice every Sunday night. He went to school baseball off season workouts at 5:45am three mornings per week. 

Soph year of high school he was cut from basketball after being the starting point guard on the freshman team. He was already starting on varsity for soccer. It was a given he would start for varsity on the baseball team. Parents were speculating if he would make varsity basketball and be in the rotation soph year of basketball. The basketball coach was not a fan of multi sport athletes. Add in he never went to off season basketball workouts due to playing school soccer and fall ball in the fall and travel ball and goalie camp in the summer.

From not playing basketball (other than rec league) he stopped running off weight in the winter. He started filling out and getting strong. After soph year he spent the winter with an instructor changing his swing. The time he had for baseball in the winter amped his game up several notches.

You do what you can for as long as you can. Then you may have to make decisions. The basketball coach made the decision for my son. College baseball was the goal. He loved basketball. But he knew he was only going to grow to about 6’2”. Soccer was his best sport. 

Last edited by RJM