Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball workouts during winter sports?"

Backpick25 posted:

My '18 sons HS coach stated to me, he had never been contacted by a college coach in his 22 years of coaching HS baseball. 

A drooling moron?? No. 

Does it prove the insignificance of HS baseball? Not at all..... The fact, the HS coach was contacted even once and was part of the recruiting process to vet the players  character, proves that it can be very important.  Just as important as players are told, "You never know who is watching".  

You never know who will be contacted to vet your sons character. All things even in baseball ability.........the way they interact and treat others could be the deciding factor in being recruited.

A player can be recruited for chasing foul balls, being good teamates or any other distinguishing character trait to separate themselves from another.  

I don't think you can or should over look anyone, as it was revealed my son was recruited as a referral from a pro scout. The RC has a long relationship with him and has used him many times to find potential recruits.  

FYI, of 8 recruits in '18's signing class, 5 were scout referrals and 3 were recruited out of PG/LP events by the coaching staff. 

During his recruiting process, my 2018 got a text from his HS basketball coach saying a program had reached out to him to learn more about son. It was an interesting choice because in baseball, he'll go from playing every inning to being a PO.

His basketball coach on the other hand, once said to him "I'm sorry I don't play you more. You work harder than anyone on the team in practice, but you're not very good at basketball."

Guessing he told that college coach the same thing.

You can't pay people to give that kind of a recommendation.