Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseball Workouts"

quote:
Speed-yes, power-yes, throwing-yes

Fair enough.
What kind of speed does it build exactly?
Power? How does your power increase exactly? And how do you measure it exactly?
Throwing? If it works for you, well then congratulations; not sure I have heard that before. I suspect that you are one of a very few. Still, be careful.

Andrew, to be clear, I am not against any single exercise. Part of my calculation in designing any program, however, is having a good idea of the risk and reward with each exercise or combination thereof. The goal is to let you do what you do better, and let you do so repeatedly.

Most baseball bats weigh between 29 and 35 ounces; most baseballs about 5. Powercleaning, whether it is hanging cleans or any variation thereof are arguably good exercises for making YOU stronger (if we measure your strength by the ability to powerclean or some other related exercise), but do they help you move the baseball or the bat (or move you, since that relates here) appreciably better for the risk you take on?

Make a case that it does, and I would be glad to consider it (like I said, we sometimes do certain similar movements in our offseason work). But please be more specific as to what they do, other than just make you more "explosive."