Skip to main content

Reply to "Baseline Question"

It's really hard to tell what the right call was in the situation you describe. If the second baseman has the ball and is running the runner back to first, in theory you draw a line from the runner to first base. The runner can be anywhere within 3 feet of that line. When a runner twists out of the way to avoid an imminent tag, it's pretty obvious. But when the fielder is still 10 - 15 feet away (and you're off at an angle) it's pretty hard to see if the runner is going back "towards" first base or has gone more than 3 feet out of a direct line back to the bag. The further he is away from the base, and the further the fielder is from him, the harder it is to make the call. I'd be hard pressed to defend that call in the circumstances you described unless the runner headed straight out into right field, and you made it almost impossible because you misunderstood the rule at the time.
quote:
he ... is still 10-15 feet back of the baseline (and making no attempt to get back within baseline). I'm giving the kid the benefit of the doubt at this point but screaming at him repeatedly to get back in the baseline....The kid maintains his 15 foot distance back of the baseline as he advances toward 1st despite my plea so I call him out before the 2B tags him and R3 doesn't even score.

If he had done what you were telling him to do - "get back in the baseline" - he would have been in violation of the rule. You booted the call. Live and learn.
Last edited by P-Dog