Skip to main content

Reply to "bat drag"

quote:
Originally posted by coachjo:
He also had 20/10 vision and better hand eye coordination than anyone in decades.

Williams is not doing the dropping that I was speaking of.I probably didn't explain it well. You "veterans" might have a better term for it.

I think it's really what makes drag....drag.

When Williams first moves his hands, shoulders hips...his bat head is still well up.....he then takes it to the baseball...through the zone...and finishes back up high.

What I mean by dropping bat head is on first movement, the bat head immediately goes down to try and "hurry" to the zone. Usually the bat gets there below the ball and results in popflys.

I think reasons for this may be:
-Bat too heavy
-wrists/arms not strong enough
-kids not trusting their eyes to get to ball in zone quick enough
-they've been doing it all their life

I'm still learning and would love to hear what you have to say on this bluedog....and if you think this is a problem... I actually have 3 kids on my team who do this very thing. I've been working the Tee Drill with them for 2 weeks and their swing/results have gotten alot better.

Bat drag is caused by the arms slotting the elbow instead of the hands slotting the elbow and then forcing the hitter to pull the bat through the zone knob first. Sad thing is, 95% of Coaches and Instructors think this is what is supposed to happen.