Skip to main content

Reply to "Bates"

Stayfocused, you're absolutely correct about looking at price of the education.  My oldest son turned down 2 D1 schools because he would've been paying about $100,000 more for his education at those schools than the D2 school he decided to go to (no athletic money from either).  That was tough for him to turn down a chance to play at a D1, but when he really thought about it, it was the only decision which made sense.

However, one thing to consider when bringing up the cost of the school as they have listed, as you did above, is that the listed cost to attend is rarely what you'll actually pay.  Using the Net Price Calculator is a must when considering a school.  Its not 100% accurate, but I think its pretty close.  There's a huge difference in colleges with the way they give out money, so I would highly encourage anyone to fill it out before ruling a school out.  For instance, the amount Bates will give my son to attend is staggering.  It actually would make Bates much, much cheaper than our own state schools for my son (which is one reason he's considering it).  I think this is especially true for people like my family who are from very rural areas where the cost of living is so much less than on the east or west coasts (a nice 1400 square foot house here costs $70,000).  Just wanted to point that out to those who may be new to all this.  Again, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.