Skip to main content

Reply to "Batista meet this Miss Iowa"

It's a great story about her overcoming a disability, but no way was Batista slamming her-he could just as easily have said Miss New Jersey or Miss Nevada. He meant expecting one thing and getting another.

Check this out:

"On September 2 2009 Batista was nominated for the Roberto Clemente Award. He was nominated because in the off-season he traveled throughout the United States and Latin America to deliver baseball equipment, medical supplies, and speak to kids of all ages to stress the importance of education and determination. Batista said this about being nominated for helping the less fortunate:
“I have been to so many countries and seen the reactions of so many kids when you do something for them, I think it's the most gratifying thing we can do. It would be a great honor for anything, but especially satisfying for a Latino player. I remember talking to [Albert] Pujols about it. He won it last year and we agreed that it probably means more to us than other people because of who Roberto Clemente was. There have been a lot of great Latin players, but no one did what he did.

p.s. Did I just agree with T.R.?? Eek
Last edited by hokieone