Skip to main content

Reply to "Batter's Interference - Right Calls?"

Midlo Dad posted:

Correct, do not record an interference as a strikeout.  It's treated similarly to if the batter touches a ball in play after leaving the batter's box (thereby becoming a "batter-runner.")  Out for interference, dead ball, runners return to original bases.

I'm waiting for one of our sticklers to bet you didn't see a "fielder's interference." 

The new rule requiring batters to make a motion to evade a pitch is maddening.  For years, you teach a kid to turn his shoulder inward so as to protect his hands and chest, and now he's left to take a bruise and get no more than a ball for doing the right thing.  If the guy is hovering over the strike zone, the correct call has ALWAYS been strike + dead ball.  The new rule therefore effectively covers only pitches that are BALLS.  So now the pitcher can pelt you with impunity I guess.

I saw this the other day:  Slow breaking ball.  Kid has a big leg kick, stays down in his stance as you train kids to do with breaking pitches, foot comes down and then the batter realizes the ball is going to hit him.  At this point his weight has shifted and there is no physically possible way for him to evade.  He gets plunked but the umpire applies the rule so as to keep him at bat. 

Mr. McCauber had a saying for rules like this one.

If we're talking about the new NCAA rule, he doesn't always have to move. Here are the guidelines:

1. The batter must make an effort to avoid being hit by the pitch if he has the opportunity to do so.
2. The batter must not intentionally try to get hit by the pitch.

If the batter did not try to intentionally get hit by the pitch or let the pitch hit him when he had the opportunity to avoid being hit, he is awarded first base.

That's verbatim from the test question.