Skip to main content

Reply to "Batter's Interference - Right Calls?"

2017LHPscrewball posted:

I will rephrase my question in terms of a scenario that may help me in the rule's application - Tall 6-2 upright right handed batter takes a low/inside ball while the kid from 2B steals 3B.  The batter stands there motionless - frozen - zero movement.  The catcher, based on where he receives the ball, is completely blocked by the batter.  From what I have heard here so far, the catcher will have to move up or to his left.  If the catcher attempts to throw "over" the batter standing in front of him, there is no interference even if the batter fails to lower himself by crouching.  True?

I am not an umpire nor do I have any belief that I am more knowledgeable or have better insight into calls than the average umpire (quite the opposite).  When I want to get some clarification on rules, I come here instead of trying to read a) the rule book, and b) the case studies.  I have seen several very good responses on the board that outline the applicable rules and than demonstrate application of the rule(s) and some case studies.  I figure I am never going to be a rules expert and really do not want to be someone who knows just enough to be dangerous.  Please excuse me for not reading the rule book.  As for BI, I have seen it called at times when I was not real sure why it got called.  Oftentimes there are fans (parents) screaming that the batter has the "box" and others screaming that the kid didn't try to get out of the way.  I think I have a better understanding now.  

If you suggest someone "read the rule book", please make sure they read the entire rule book, the correct rule book, and any and all case studies or other clarifications that may accompany the rules.  Otherwise, you are setting them up to fail.  For me, I'm happy to have a 90% grasp of the rules and the 10% that falls under some discrete clarification makes the game a bit more fun (always loved getting educated a bit during a game).

If the batter stands there motionless  - frozen - zero movement ....the catcher would have no problem ...even on a low inside pitch. Thanks for being in on the discussion!