Skip to main content

Reply to "Batters reaching on an uncaught 3rd strike."

luv baseball posted:
JCG posted:

Just for the sake of argument, wouldn't it be possible for batter to reach first without WP, PB or E?

Here's the hypothetical situation.  Runner first and second.  Batter squares to bunt.  F3 and F5 crash, F6 goes to 3B,  F4 goes to 2B.  Pitch is in the dirt but batter bunts at it and misses.  Catcher gets ball fairly cleanly but P reacts too slowly to get to 1B in front of batter, who is a burner.

Either FC or single depending on action of fielders.  If the Fielder makes a throw to another base then I am going to rule this a K/FC if the play is unsuccessful. 

If the fielder grabs the ball and the base is uncovered because pitcher either hesitated or moved toward the ball and catcher ends up eating it - I am ruling K/FC - Defense did not cover the bag and thus no error can be charged.

Don't agree with this.  You can't have a dropped 3rd strike AND a single or a FC assigned to it.  As I've stated, if a batter Ks with a dropped 3rd strike, you are either going to have a WP or PB that allows that batter to attempt to reach 1B.  I stated earlier that there can be an error.  After thinking about it, I'm not even sure that will be assigned by itself without a WP or PB.  If the error on F2 or F3 allows any runners to advance beyond their current base, an error could come into play.  For instance, catcher fields the ball and throws it over the F3s head - batter advances to 2nd.  A WP or PB would be assigned to allow the batter to reach first and an E would be assigned allowing him to reach 2nd.  But I'm sure that a WP or PB has to be assigned that allows the batter even the opportunity to attempt to reach 1st base after a K.