Skip to main content

Reply to "Batting Practice Program"

Thx Cabbagedad and Others,

Sounds like good advice. I've gotten the Batting cage built and have the L-Screen and a tanner T . I'm thinking of mixing up the days(one day Medicine ball and T work), the next day BP from a person and/or machine.  I'm thinking about 5-6 days a week, for about 30 minutes to 1 hour each day. I /we don't want to do too much, but not too little either.  How much/how often do most "great hitters" in highschool practice their batting?

Frequency factors...

Most important is that the player drives the frequency and you help prevent physical and mental burnout.  You also have to consider what other sports, social, academic and other interests he is involved in.  A good deal of variety and balance will serve him well later in life for baseball and beyond (I CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGHT!!) but may mean he won't have as much time to put into baseball-specific work as you might like to see.  Also, he will want to be sharpest at the right times (HS season and key travel season, whatever that might be for him).  A gradual ramp up to those times seems to work well for most.  Regardless, I would not suggest more than five days a week.  A HS kid needs to live the full HS and teen experience - he only gets one pass at it.

Some of the best hitters I've had in our HS program have worked on it regularly most of the year.  More have been involved in multiple sports and taken lengthy breaks away from baseball with no negative impact unless they waited too long to ramp up or didn't put the time in when it was time.

Last edited by cabbagedad